Chef Gene’s Tips in Handling Knives
- The most important tip is to chop slowly and carefully.
- Always cut away from your body.
- Make sure your hands are dry and the surface you’re working on is nonslip.
- Make sure that you curl your fingers under on the hand holding the food.
This takes a while to get used to, but will become second nature with practice. If your fingers are curled under, the chances are good you will never cut yourself.
- Watch what you’re doing at all times.
- Keep kids and pets out of the kitchen when you’re working with knives!
- Using your dominant hand, hold the knife firmly and, using a rocking motion, cut through the food.
- The knife should not leave the surface you’re working on.